Thursday, September 20, 2007

Teens Love Their Parents and God

I'm planning a car trip with two of my teens from our home near Kansas City to Des Moines. After visiting a college campus for my high school senior I will cheer at a soccer tournament for my high school freshman.

So I'm encouraged by a poll on what makes teens happy. Their top answer was spending time with their family. Three quarters of the teens said that their relationship with their parents makes them happy.

The Associated Press and MTV polled 1,280 people aged 13 to 24 to find out what makes young people happy.

Religion also helps teens find happiness. Eighty percent of those who call religion or spirituality the most important thing in their lives say they're happy, while only 60 percent of those who say faith isn't important to them consider themselves happy.

Forty-four percent say religion and spirituality is at least very important to them, 21 percent responded it is somewhat important, 20 percent say it plays a small part in their lives and 14 percent say it doesn't play any role.

These teens combine their spirituality with tolerance. Sixty-eight percent agree with the statement, ``I follow my own religious and spiritual beliefs, but I think that other religious beliefs could be true as well.'' Thirty-one percent choose, ``I strongly believe that my religious beliefs are true and universal, and that other religious beliefs are not right.''

I was already looking forward to a weekend car trip with my kids. Now this poll supports my choice of how I spend my time.

No comments: